FoodLab Chicago 3.0 is an insightful, educational program designed for chefs, restaurateurs, and food industry makers who are looking to take their businesses to the next level. FoodLab Chicago is excited to welcome a third year cohort to engage in weekly 90 minute workshop sessions curated to enhance restaurant profitability, gain a better understanding of food costs, grow the workforce, and cultivate a dining culture which strengthens Southside communities as food service destination nodes. This program consists of three sessions conducted in the autumn, winter, and spring of 2021 and 2022 and is provided at no charge to participants. The autumn session starts in October. The application deadline has been extended to September 28, 2021.
· Own a foodservice business that has been operational for at least 18 months with 5 employees in addition to the owner(s).
· Business located in the South Shore, Chatham, Auburn Gresham, Avalon, Englewood neighborhoods (preferred)
· Able to make a commitment of about 5 hours per week for workshop sessions and related assignments
· Attend (virtually or in person) all 5 autumn workshop sessions
· Communicate regularly with FoodLab Chicago 3.0 advisors
· Submit quarterly reports on business revenue and employee headcounts
· Complete at least 80% of class assignments
Dates for the Winter and Spring Session are forthcoming.
We are pleased to announce that FoodLab Chicago has been awarded the Open For Business Fund Grant. Our mission is to provide more specialized integrated services to largely mature food businesses that are owned by black entrepreneurs and that anchor key corridors in the black Chicago communities.
We partner with restaurant owners for rapid growth and prepare them to access capital and build great company culture. Our growth-oriented, practical, peer-to-peer driven workshops are designed to drive our cohort members to enhance their business practices, resulting in increased revenues, and a strong company culture required to hire and retain great staff.
Implementing MEEZ Culinary software to drill down into each plate’s profitability. Menu matrix building to analyze and maximize profitability, including pricing.
Continue the digital and other best practices of the 2020 pivot through Podcasts and Discussions. CSSI Culinary Consultants will lead this focused effort to produce food innovators.
Over half of our cohort members are in the process of opening additional restaurants. Operating multiple units requires a whole set of different skills versus operating a single restaurant. Funding, strategy, organizational design, human resources, managerial control, etc.